Saturday, February 19, 2011

Classroom Set Up

The Montessori school I taught at for 7 years had one large classroom which I loved. When the opportunity presented itself for me to buy a building that was formerly a preschool, I was concerned about the set up of the classroom.  Community Montessori has 3 rooms-a front room, a middle room and a back room.  I consulted a very important Montessori mentor in my life and asked what I could do so assure that the children had freedom to move about the classroom, but still be aware of ratios.  She had a brilliant idea-we have a chart in each room.  After lessons, the children take their name off a board and choose the room they want to work in.  They put their name on the chart (with velcro).  Then, when they switch rooms, they take their name with them.  It has worked beautifully and I find myself loving how the classroom is set up. Another bonus is that there is a teacher in each room for a week at a time. So, for a week each teacher can be in one room, work with children who come in that room and really focus on those areas.  Our front room is our Everyday Living, Art, Sensorial, Snack, and manipulative (parquetry, lacing, necklace making, etc) areas.  The middle room is our Math area.  The back room is our Language/Cultural area.  It's great fun to work with all the kids vs. only the children in my group.  I was in the back room this week and it was a sound box and moveable alphabet party!  I love being immersed in an area for a week.  The room is small enough that I can be there to guide or support children if they need me, but yet allows for very independent work as well.  Each week the teachers discuss the prior week, who they worked with and the progress each child is making.  We note social, developmental, academic, and emotional progress or challenges as well.

www.CMontessori.com

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this blog. I see there is a lot of independent learning. Whhat if the child shows reluctance in a certain area oof learning and never ventures into one particular room? Will there be directions given at that time? How would you or the teacher handle that?

    ReplyDelete